Sunday, June 12, 2011
GO BOLD THIS SUMMER!
I know it's been a while, but I'm back to blogging, and just in time for summer! And one of the hottest trends this summer is bold lip color. Now I know taking a risk of any kind can be a bit intimidating but it can be summed up in one phrase, “Just do it!”
So often we let fear hold us back...fear of being different, fear of ridicule and humiliation, or simply a fear of not being in fashion! Many celebrities have signature lipsticks, some of them in quite bold shades (Gwen Stefani’s is red). Why not create your own signature look? Whether you see it in the pages of your favorite fashion magazine or you create a mixture of color all your own take a gamble on being the trend setter. If you decide you’re ready to take one small step for makeup and one giant leap for individualism and personal style, here are a few rules of thumb to make sure you look fierce!
· Make your lip color the focus of your look. Pair it with a more subtle eye and cheek. Anything brighter will only compete with your lip color.
· Choose a color that compliments your complexion and its undertones. The right intensity or pigment is also important. Too much or too little for your skin tone will appear clownish.
· Prep you lips properly. If they’re dry use a lip balm or lip moisturizer first. If the skin color on your lips is uneven use a foundation or concealer to balance the tone. Remember, darker pigment holds color differently than lighter pigment.
· Wear it with a lip liner. Matching either the color of your lipstick or your natural lip color will enhance the lipstick and help it stay put.
· Don’t go super glossy. The color is already bold so the finish should be natural, satin or matte. Too much gloss is overkill.
When using lip color directly from the tube apply it only to the top lip and press your lips together to blend for a subtle effect. Otherwise use a lip brush for a smooth, even application.
· Be sure to blot the inside of your lips to prevent the color from transferring to your teeth.
Most importantly, have fun with it! Match it to your shoes, your handbag, your accessories---whatever mood strikes you. Wear your bold lip color with confidence and pride. And remember, it’s only lipstick!